- Check for debris sitting on the roof. Debris can cause damage to shingle and water to back up.
- Check for deteriorated, torn, missing, or loose shingles. These issues can allow water to infiltrate and possibly cause mold and water damage in the attic.
- Check the chimney and plumbing vent pipes for deterioration and loose or damaged flashing. Check for deteriorated caulking that is no longer sealing intersect areas. These are common locations for water infiltration and damage.
- Check chimney to make sure a chimney cap is installed and secure to help prevent water infiltration. It should also have 1/4” wire mesh covering openings to help prevent animal infiltration.
- Check for debris and damaged gutters which can cause water to overflow and potentially cause water damage, erosion, flooding basements/crawl spaces, and damage to the foundation.
- Check downspouts and downspout extensions to make sure they are not clogged and direct water at least 4’ from the foundation.
Soffits, Fascia, and Flashing
- Check for damage or loose material.
- Check for gaps in material that could allow water, animal, or insect infiltration.
- Check wood soffits and fascia for peeling paint and deterioration.
- Check siding for damage, loose material, deterioration, peeling paint, and mildew/algae. Spring storms can rip loose siding off and cause water damage. Mildew/algae can cause accelerated deterioration and poor curb appeal.
- Check brick coverings for mortar deterioration, spalling bricks, and gaps at corner intersects with other material.
- Check the foundation looking for settlement cracks that could allow water infiltration or are signs of a larger shifting issue.
- Check around windows and doors to verify trim is secure and sealed.
- Check electric, gas line, A/C line and any other protrusions into the house to verify they are sealed to prevent water infiltration and damage. These areas are a potential entry point for rodents and insects.
- Check outdoor hose bibs/spigots to verify they are operational and do not leak.
- Check landscaping, vegetation and trees to make sure they are not able to rub on the structure or overhanging the house that could cause damage. Vines growing on the structure can cause damage, hold moisture and allow insect easy access.
- Check basement window wells for secure and intact window well covers. Window wells with drains should be checked to make sure the drains are clear of debris and operational. Missing covers can allow debris and water to fill the wells and cause water infiltration and damage.
- Check wood decks for peeling or deteriorated sealant. Remember that the underneath side of the deck should be sealed also.
- Check deck and porch railings to make sure they are properly secured.
- Check electric outlets for properly secured and have exterior rated covers.
- Check retaining walls for deterioration and shifting.